Sunday, September 13, 2009

The September Issue

I went to see The September Issue, the new documentary with behind the scenes footage of the making of the Vogue September issue, this weekend and LOVED it! If you like fashion in the least this is a must see. I have read about how Anna Wintour is not the warmest individual so I expected that in the documentary. What I did no expect was how big of a role Grace Coddington, creative director of Vogue, has within the magazine. Grace started at Vogue around the same time as Anna Wintour, so they've known each other for 20 plus years. In the September issue, Grace went through each spread that was shot and she literally put every shoot together except for the Sienna Miller shoot. Apparently Grace doesn't like shooting celebrities. Go figure! I am a huge fan of Grace's artistic talent and humble nature. She seemed very genuine and had wonderful insights on life and fashion throughout the film. I'm all over this months September issue and looking at all the work Grace put into this issue. I understand that Anna Wintour is the Editor and her job is mainly approvals, editing and of course the financial aspects of making the magazine profitable (i.e. maintaining budgets and working with advertisers), but I expected the film to center around her and it was really about Grace.

Before I wrap, I wanted to point out how they portray André Leon Talley in this documentary...as a fashion joke. They show him decked out in Louis Vuitton while attempting to play tennis (HUGE LV towel around his shoulders while playing...redic) because as he says, Anna told him he needed to lose weight! You always see him front row at the fashion shows next to Anna (and probably overlooked Grace because she's definitely not as flamboyant as she has bright untamed red hair, wears black constantly and no make-up). He's the Editor at Large over US Vogue and I would have been interested to see more of his role within the magazine.

http://www.theseptemberissue.com/#/home

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis